About the CCE
Civic Engagement is central to the public purpose of higher education and essential to the student experience, empowering students to become active citizens in a democratic society. The WSU Center for Civic Engagement exists to forge community-campus partnerships that build community capacity, generate knowledge, and solve problems through service, leadership, and scholarship.
The CCE advances the land-grant mission of the university, fostering meaningful connections and engagement between campus and communities to effect positive change in society.
The CCE facilitates student and faculty engagement with communities to promote shared knowledge, research, and service to society.
- ommunity: Connectedness; sense of belonging
- wareness: Self-knowledge; informed democratic engagement
- espect: Civility; perspective-taking; responsibility
- quity: Inclusion; social justice
- ustainability: Change; healthy people; healthy planet
Student civic engagement is a form of experiential learning, a cyclical model of experience, reflection, conceptualization, and testing (). WSU students who participate in civic engagement activities have the opportunity to enhance their academic and personal growth in these areas:
- Civic Responsibility: Understanding issues in the community and the responsibility of citizens to participate in the democratic process and work toward positive change in society
- Self Awareness and Efficacy: Identifying one’s own values and interests; respecting and appreciating the perspectives and life situations of others; and gaining confidence to take action that makes a difference
- Academic Success: Acquiring and strengthening knowledge by applying academic concepts to real issues in the community, leading to success in the classroom and development of professional skills
- Enhance the learning, success, and civic development of all WSU students through diverse civic engagement and leadership experiences.
- Develop key campus and community partnerships that promote the mission and values of the CCE and address community-identified needs.
- Align the CCE with institutional initiatives that support a culture of engagement, research, and the land-grant mission of WSU.
- Maximize program resources to respond to increased responsibility for campus-community engagement.
Each academic year, the CCE produces an annual report to share our accomplishments over the year. Click on the links below to download our annual reports.